Relax! It's just a Massage
I've noticed that first time massage clients can come in with lots of anxiety and It's totally natural to be nervous about something new . A Massage can be a pretty intimidating thing for many people and I'd like to share a few tips and pointers with you to help ease the uncertainty of receiving a professional massage for the first time.
1. Your only Job as a client is to RELAX!
Yep, that's it. Breath in, Breath out, relax, take a nap & zone out. I love how helpful clients try to be, but this is your hour to just veg. No need to worry about conversation or anticipate anyone else s needs but your own. It's your quiet time. Isn't that a load off? :)
2. Speak up if the pressure is not right.
If it's hurting, it's too much! If it's irritatingly soft, it's to light. Massage therapists want to know and love this kind of feed back. We want you to LOVE your experience and will make adjustments to fit your comfort.
3. There's no need to worry about your appearance. Massage therapists are professionals and they do not judge you by your physical appearance. When we work, we are focused on adhesion's in the tissues, tension knots , and making sure your massage is addressing your specific goals. You will be covered or "draped" during the session and your modesty is always considered and protected.
4. You will be asked for your health history. Many clients are surprised by an intake form on their first visit. These questions are asked to determine if you have any conditions that contraindicate massage or that we need to be aware of to ensure a safe session.
5. Not all massages or massage therapists are the same. Make sure to establish your specific goals or what you want to get out of your massage session before you schedule with a new therapist. Be sure to discuss this with them before you come in to make sure you get the right massage for you.
Some therapists specialize in relaxation based massage only where others may be more clinical in their application.
Licensed Massage therapists are professionals and will never offer you illegal services. Make sure to ask for their license number if it's not posted in the office or on their business cards.
I hope these pointers have helped to demystify massage therapy and have taken away any apprehensions.
Were you nervous the first time you got a massage treatment?
I have only had one massage when i was 18, I am 29 now. A guy gave me the massage in a mini spa place at JC Penny. I was initially nervous because of the new surroundings, and he didn't make much small talk before hand, all business it seemed. In and out. I think now that I am older and more confident it would probably be a different story.
11/26/2012 02:57:04 am
Thanks for the Comment, Tony!
5/23/2018 09:56:24 am
I have had sports massage it was awesomeness. I found quality practitioner with a totally wonderful experience, unique style and approach.
Leave a Reply.